Thursday, October 30, 2014

The Lord Will Do His Own Work in His Own Time

Sawibona!

Well its been another good week here in South Africa! The Sun finally made an appearance yesterday and everyone is recovering from being swept away in the floods so I would say its a great day! Ok, thats a little over dramatic but ya its been just rainy and windy and normal tropical weather here this week. But today its very sunny (so far) and looks like a beautiful day! 

This week has been pretty nice. We have kind of decided that we need to do a lot of finding here. We were doing our weekly planning and realized theres not that many people to plan for. Most everyone is kind of falling away and we are dropping them for now. When you make phone calls and show up and no one is there, it gets pretty annoying. So this week has been finding finding finding! We seriously have contacted for multiple hours each and every day. We usually have somewhere around 3 or 4 appointments each day but the rest of the time its just standing on corners passing out materials and trying to talk to the world! Sadly its been a very normal week and I don't have much to share but there was something I thought was very cool. 

So kind of all week we have been struggling getting contacts. We talk to hundreds of people but only maybe 1 person will give us a number or accept us to come again. Its not been very successful and I was starting to really get down. Seemed like no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find a single person. Well yesterday we got to church early so we could greet everyone that came and be there when investigators showed up. It starts getting to 8:55 (church starts at 9) and no one has come. I was pretty disheartened and we went in and sat down. But surely just as the meeting starts, 2 members come walking in each with a friend they brought for the first time. And a few mins after that, Ntombi (who is Tokoso's aunt and one of our investigators) comes in with her son! Never ever have I been so excited to see someone new faces come in to the chapel! As soon as we could we went up to them and talked and scheduled appointments and they wanted to learn more about the church. At this point it seemed like an answer to our prayers. New investigators, at church, with member friends! Well just when I thought this was cool enough, Sis Tish (who is the librarian) comes out into the foyer after sacrament with a big box of old books and magazines that were for whoever wanted them. I knew that Gran (whom we take the sacrament to every week) would love some new reading material. I grabbed a few ensigns and started flipping through them. I love reading the 'Latter Day Saint Voices' and started reading them. Well the first one I read was in one from like 2002. I started reading and it was about how the Lord will do his own work in his own time. I found out this week how true that really is. There are people here whom the Lord has prepared to receive this gospel. Its just our job to find those people and lead them to the truth. And sometimes they even find us. It was a blah week, but this experience on Sunday, this made it awesome! 

Other than that the highlights of the week have been:
On Tuesday we went to Innocent's house and we helped clear the jungle and make a garden. I attached pics in dropbox. It was seriously a thick bush but I got to use the machete and hack through it like a real african. It was pretty legit. But we got rained out so we have to finish the rest sometime this week. 

Wednesday we had ZTM and talked more about finding. Seems we aren't the only area in the mission having the same problem. But it was a nice meeting and we learned a lot. I also received the Halloween Package! Thank you mother! Elder Ngandu thought the Ghost Poop Tic Tacs were hilarious haha. 

Saturday we went to the Riese/Russell family and watched the South Africa vs. New Zealand rugby game! SA won by the way! It was super fun! They made a bunch of hot dogs and we were going to have a competition until we remembered Elder Chapman is from Tonga... He ate like 15 in the time I ate 3. And I was finished after! haha. But Elder Farmer and Elder Neilson from Durban came as well so it was fun to talk with everyone. 


But thats about been my week this time. Not too much really happened but its been a good normal week. This week we have zone conference on Wednesday which should be good. But other than that its going to be more finding! Yay!! I hope everyone has a great week and I look forward to hearing from you soon! I love you all