Thursday, October 30, 2014

Plans for Tonga

Alright well another week bites the dust! Seriously it was a pretty quick
week. The days dragged on like never before but as a whole it flew by!
Probably cause every day it just rained like crazy so it all just blurs
together into one massive day of wet. So ya you can probably already guess
how my week went. Was not fantastic really at all. Would have preferred
being at Jordan's homecoming and the funeral. Sounds like it was a really
good service and everyone had a good time.

Well as for me and South Africa this week, I can't remember if I told you
but our new car got stolen. Again. By missionaries. But they didn't even
tell us why they needed it?? Just took it and told us to walk so with all
the rain this week we have been pretty stranded. Running for cover and
trying to stay somewhat dry. When it rains here, it rains. Its awesome if
you are inside but when you are outside in it you feel like you are
drowning! Looots of rain this week. So the work has been kind of hindered
because of that. We were still able to get some good new contacts and meet
with some of our investigators. Unfortunately its looking like a lot of
seeds that won't grow for a few months.. On the good side though, Tokoso
has made a re-appearance! He has been to church 2 weeks in a row, he has
gone to the youth activities, he is preparing to be baptized, the members
are asking him all the time if he is preparing so he seems really
determined to do it. So we think on the 9 November he will be baptized.
Pretty awesome to have him back.

We did a lot of work with Less actives lately. Figured we can reactivate
some people if we can't get new members. We have been moving with a few
members to show us some houses and have had a really good time and a lot of
them came to church! We had 9 come! So that was awesome yesterday! Its also
been so funny to walk around with them. We went with 2 of the young men and
1 of their friends around KwaMakhuta (the township) yesterday and they
showed us a lot of members. We were walking and talking and we are going
down a long street. At the end of the street there is a small tuck shop
with a lot of guys outside. Well as we get closer they all start yelling
Hey Mulungu!! Mulungu! Come here Mulungu! Picture Mulungu!? Picture! Well
the 3 guys we are with just start laughing. Some drunk guy comes out and
meets us and asks me if I will take a picture with him. Obviously I agree
and about 15 camera phones come out and we took a small photo shoot haha.
They were all laughing and probably saying some crazy things but I didn't
care I was just laughing and having a good time. I wanted to use my camera
and take a pic with him but I was too afraid they would steal it haha. We
kept going and about 2 blocks away we meet some guy on the road and he asks
me if I have any Wunga I'm not using. The 3 guys just bust up again and I
have no idea what a Wunga is. I say no and we start walking again and they
start explaining that Wunga is a serious drug here. Kind of like cocaine is
what I am thinking. So ya people think I use cocaine I guess..? Oh how I
have missed my townships haha. Such a weird experience to be there. I can't
tell if I am excited or just scared to death when we are there.

The only reason we are going there now is because the Elder's Quorum
president wants to set up a better/new home teaching list so he needs to
know who lives there and who can visit who. But its kind of fun. Haven't
been in one for so long haha.

And so now to the fun stuff with my companion. So things are still
spiraling out of control here... Every member comes up to me and says he
did something or said something. And the thing is, nothing dumb is ever
said when I am there, but as soon as we are at church and he is not right
next to me, something gets said. I don't understand! Then when I ask him
about it I get a different story and I don't know what the truth is.
Basically I will have to put a leash on him and never let him leave my
side. Like how do you offend people at church???
Yesterday, 2 random missionaries came to church, no one knows why. Well half
way through sacrament meeting they and Ngandu get up and walk out. A huge
group of people get up and follow and they all go outside and start taking
pictures. Bishop approached me and gave me fire! I was sitting in the front
with a recent convert and so I didn't see anything happen. Then other
members came and gave me fire and I am just sitting here going uhhhh
because I have no idea what happened! But I guess a bunch of people are
calling the Mission President. I loved the guy to death but he has been making some
stupid stupid choices and it is ruining the area and making me look bad.
Transfer news is this Saturday and he will leave and I will have to spend
the next transfer trying to rebuild the relationships that were torn down.
Awesome. Only good thing is the members here seriously love me and I love
these members more than any other area. I will stay here for 9 months if I
have to!

Now that I am done venting, things are awesome. Me and Elder Chapman are
best friends. We are making plans so that I can go stay with him in Tonga
some time. See, even if I didn't get called to serve in Tonga, I still
found a way to get to Tonga through my mission! We talk a lot and make
awesome plates of nachos haha. He is struggling with his companion too so
we try and help each other out and keep us afloat. Been a good time. Well I
don't have much else to report. More of a story week than anything else.
But I am sure with going back into the township I will have lots of good
stories for you! I love you all very much and hope you have a loverly week!

Elder Peterson