Monday, September 22, 2014

Rollin' in Style #adrenalinejunkie

Oh my goodness. This week has been a legit roller coaster. I want you all to know that there is nothing more thrilling than riding bicycles downhill, in the dark, with no lights, on a twisty road, with cars flying by, in the middle of Africa. #adrenalinejunkie.

So ya this week our car was stolen. It was Thursday about midday. We were at the church and a big white van pulled up. 4 guys came out and demanded the car. We had no choice but to give it to them and watch them pull away in it. They at least let us keep our bags and things which was really nice but we no longer have a vehicle... It was an emotional day to say the least.

But ya those 4 guys were the missionaries from the Kwa Mashu area in Durban ;) I guess there is a shortage of vehicles and theres 8 missionares there that walk 3 hours into their area. So the AP's said they need a car and we are about the only area around that could lose a car and still somewhat manage. So yep ours in now gone and we were given a sick pair of bikes. So we have been biking around a lot the last couple of days. Luckily the Toti 2 elders have a car and can drop us off and pick us up. Otherwise its a 10K bike ride from the boarding to the area. Really though its a blessing in disguise. I am going to lose so much weight and I will have rock hard thighs. No one will touch me in soccer by the end of the transfer. So far I haven't been too sore or tired from it. Other than my backside hurts from sitting on the seat all day. But by the end of the transfer (yes we will be on bikes for a full 6 weeks) I will probably be so drained!

This week has been pretty good though. The bikes make it a lot harder to see as many people as we use to see and our stats for last week about cut in half which about made me sick. Its funny though cause the numbers have gone down but I feel much more like a missionary. We talk to everyone, just hello as we cruise by and it just feels so much better! Its also like the lessons we have are 10 times better. They seem more natural. They are almost more informal and they work better. You feel like having a conversation and not just shooting out information like a computer. Its a great feeling. We had a lesson with Lucky who is Khetiwae's son. We were driving by and we saw him and we stopped and sat down in the shade under some ladies porch and we just started talking and by the end of it we had taught the entire Lesson 3! It was probably my favorite lesson of the week!

This week was kind of hectic with the transfer and things but let me tell you whats been going on:

Monday we just hung out and cruised around while Elder Nzioka said goodbye to everyone. Very normal boring day but nice to relax.

Tuesday we had to go into Durban to drop off missionaries and pick them up. Nzioka left to Dundee and Oluoch from Margate went to Kwa Mashu. We then picked up Elder Chapman who replaced Nzioka. He is a tongan guy who is probably 6' 5" and weighs close to 300. He is a beast! He has a scholarship to play football at BYU as a nose guard so he is basically ginormous! His companion Elder Mastara is like 5' 7" maybe 100 soaking wet. They look awesome together haha! He is super cool though and we get along really really well. He thinks its awesome I wanted to serve in Tonga and says he will cook dog for me one day haha. Elder Rasmussen's new companion is named Elder Ncube (Click on the C) who is brand new straight from the MTC! We got to pick him up and take him home. It was funny though because there is another missionary who is going to be trained by a different Elder Peterson so when I showed up at the Mission Home this kid attacked me and was so excited until I explained his companion was on the other side of the mission and he needed to take a 10 hour bus ride to get there... But I appointed myself as GodFather over the kid!

Wednesday we did service at the Deaf School all morning. It was nice and we got to play more soccer with the kids. I got invited to a B-Day party so that was cool. We went and helped the Mhlanga family more. The house has the foundation, floor, and walls done now. They are hauling! Lots of service today mostly.

Thursday was the day of sadness when we lost the car... We took a lovely walk from the church to the middle of the township about an hour away to meet Tokoso. Had a nice chat with him and then took a long walk back through the township at night to get to the chapel. Long distance but really not that scary. People are very scared but its not that bad I feel like. I will never take any of you there but still.

Friday we got the bikes. The fun began! We had a lesson with Khetiwae and then after we needed to drive from there into the other area and meet at a members house for dinner. Well that place is clear on the other side of Toti and deep into that township. So off we went! This is when we were riding downhill at night through the windiest most awesome road ever! I really felt so awesome! We cruised clear down the road and at the bottom there is a one way bridge that we need to cross. I got about half way and I saw a car coming from the other side. He saw me and stopped and I made it through. Well my companion had slowed down a lot and was a little behind me. The guy didn't see him and started to pull into the bridge and about knocked him but he slipped by and we continued our journey. But now it was straight uphill to get to the township. 1st gear for like 30 mins of pumping and we are barely moving. haha it was an adventure! But then the other guys found us and gave us a ride the rest of the way. I guarantee we got half way there. Our goal is to make it the whole way at the end of the transfer.

Saturday we played soccer in the morning. Mini was there so he is not dying thankfully. We had some investigators come which was nice. Tokoso came like normal, and Lucky came too which was so so good! Then Mongezi came. He was an investigator way way back that we dropped and now is picking up again so that was cool. Had a beautiful morning and played some good games. Scored 2 goals. No big deal. After we went and helped Khetiwae check papers so she could get them all done and come to church. Its been too long since I have done math. 2nd grade math was kicking my butt. We also saw Vusi and family and had a great lesson on the Book of Mormon. They are such a perfect family! Just have to get them to church and I swear they will be sealed in the temple. I feel so good about them.

Sunday we had good meeting at church. 107 people showed! Pretty awesome. Lucky came to church for the first time which was a huge step and he really enjoyed. He was fellowshipped good so hopefully he will keep coming and progressing. We had a lot of meetings with people today but not many lessons. Seemed to be members needing us and people not showing. Bad day for lessons but it was a very nice day. Couldn't ask for better weather thats for sure! You can check the weather online and just be so jealous its ok ;)

Innocent has been working all week again. We have called and talked a few times but thats it... His baptism on the 28th isn't looking too good right now...

Roger is in Richards Bay so we haven't seen him either. He is going to move there permanently in a few months so that will be that.

Things are going good and everything is working out nicely. We are just trying to get used to the bike situation and scheduling things. Proving to be difficult. But things will start working out and we will be able to do lots of work here! I hope everything is going well back home and everyone has a fantastic week! I love you all!

Elder Peterson