Friday, March 14, 2014
Great Feed, "What does a duck say?"
Dumela!
Another week is gone and here I am again! Seems like not much happened this week and it cruised by! But everyone sounds well and had a nice time this week especially up at the temple! Sounds like a very nice day. Well my week hasn't been great but it hasn't been bad but its been a week!
Monday after emailing all of you was quite the good time. We went to Ntate K's house. If you remember he is the old old old man that really loves the deep doctrine and is a little confused sometimes. Well he invited us over to have a braai (BBQ) at his house. We cruised over and were just talking. We started talking about the bible and he brought out a bible I have never seen before in my life! He had an Apocrepha Bible that was printed in 1611. There are only 3 in the world and it is worth $2.7 billion USD! This thing is crazy!! It weighs 25 kg and looks like a book you would find buried in a cave somewhere! It contains a bunch of books that aren't in the bible and one of them even talks about Nephi. I don't know if this is the coolest or scariest thing I have ever seen. But it is definitely interesting.
Tuesday we had to travel to Bethlehem to have our ZTM (Zone Training Meeting). It was good to meet with the other missionaries and see how everyone was doing. They talked a lot about some problems that were happening in the mission and how they needed to get fixed. We wont discuss them though. And they introduced the new way they wanted us to find people. They want to use Family History. It makes sense because all the people here are very very into ancestors and worshipping them so it would interest them, but the problem is there are no centers or computers that the people can use to do their family history... So I don't really know how it is going to work here... But we will see. I also received the Christmas Card and Valentines Day card from the Cunningham Clan, the talks and recipes from mom, and letter #6 from Jacey! I love getting letters so keep them coming!
Wednesday was the most hectic day of the week! We were working to try and meet with our 3 investigators before their baptism interviews on thursday plus we had a full day of other lessons. Well we started out and we were cruising pretty good and were only behind about 15 mins. Well 4 o clock hit and we went to a family for a lunch appointment. We ate and left at about 5:20. We went to Sis P and talked. We decided that she wasn't quite ready for baptism. She wasn't too happy but she is ok. We left her at about 7. At 7:15 we were in a FHE and had a dinner there. After there we went to a birthday party for a member and got feed again! Usually we get feed about 2-3 times a week, we got feed 3 times in under 4 hours! It was fantastic!! But we meet with the ones we needed to to prepare them for their baptism interviews.
Thursday we went for the interviews for Mama S and Bro Sb. I was on exchange with Elder A this time. We went and everything went well. When we went to Mama S I sat outside and just stared at the mountain for like an hour. I was too bored. When we went to Bro Sb, I waited in the sitting room. Well I fell asleep on the couch and took a beautiful nap for about an hour. When they finally awoke me, we were talking about Swaziland and he showed us a video called 'Swaziland without a king' It was very umm interesting. Swazi seems kind of like the real africa you think of. Starving kids, civil wars, no water. Its africa there. You can watch that if you want but I wouldn't recommend it. Too Scary. After the interviews, Elders A and K went to Harrismith and me and Elder N went to a lesson with Sis P. She is from a part member family and is always at church. She is 9 and just wants to be baptized so we went to visit her. Well we were having a nice lesson and everything was good but then the power went out! It was dark so they got out some candles and we had a nice candle light lesson. We started our walk home, in the dark, and made it. Well upon coming inside, we didn't have a flashlight or candles or anything! We pretty much stumbled around in the dark until I found one. Finally at about 10 pm the power came back right in time to go to bed. Disappointing. (I'm guessing he says this is disappointing because they alway, always, sleep with their lights on for safety.)
Friday was a good day. We had our best lessons today. We meet with Sis P again. I was afraid she was going to be angry that I had told her we should wait for her baptism but she was very cool. We rescheduled her for the 6 April. We had a good lesson on prayer and on the importance of keeping the commandments. We just want to make sure that she is really committed and not just going to go inactive after a week. But she is still progressing nicely so all is well. We meet with Bro Nj today again and had another powerful lesson! We were talking about the Book of Mormon and went through the Intro with him. He was very happy with it and says that he feels the book is true but is still waiting for his answer. But he is progressing so so well and has been coming to church with Bro Sb. We are going to have his baptism on the 6 April as well we hope. But it was a very good day.
Saturday we started the day with some serious service! We did 2 hours of yard work at Sis Pr's house (The girl that was the first one I baptised). We cleaned like crazy and weeded for days! But I had a good time pushing Sis S (her 8 year old sister) around in the wheelbarrow. After service we got ready to go into the area. We went and got bunked by every single person. Every single one. We had zero lessons today. It was awful. But we did find a new house to rent! We went and looked at it and it is definitely an upgrade from what we are in now! But the couples have to come see it and see if we will take it or not but hopefully we can so we can get out of GoGo's house. We went to a FHE and had a nice lesson. After we were playing a game called 30 seconds. You have to describe a thing without saying what it is and your team has to guess it. well I was describing the work 'duck' I said, "Its an animal like a goose that says quack quack." The guess from elder K was 'Eagle' and from Elder A was 'Frog'. I just dropped the card and walked away. What????? It was too funny hahah!
Sunday was pretty good. We had a very normal church service. Ntate K talked about the sacrament in priesthood and went too deep. After we went to a couple of lessons with Sis N N and talked just short about the Restoration and then to Mama B to see her. Nothing out of the ordinary surprisingly.
Overall its been kind of a bad week for teaching and such but it has been pretty good. Nothing bad. Me and my companion don't really get along the best though. We don't fight or anything but we aren't good friends. He is too much into studying, talking about deep doctrine, and sharing bible quotes for me. I can't handle him sometimes. He does know his scriptures but he is almost too into them to be able to connect with people... Its interesting. But I am thinking I will be leaving in just like 2 weeks so hopefully it will be good!
I love you all very much and I am so so thankful for all the support I get from everyone! I hope you have a good week and I will talk to you next week!
Love Elder P